Residential Drug Treatment – Routes to funding

UK residents can apply through the NHS for community-based and private rehab.

Your first port of call should be your GP, who will recommend the best treatment for you, and can refer you on to your local drug or alcohol service.

After you’ve been assessed, you’ll be introduced to your key worker, who will then work with you to find the right treatment for you.

You can also sometimes self-refer yourself to treatment services if you contact them directly for help, and there are many voluntary sector organisations who offer treatment and support services.

Alternatively, if you have the funds available or have private health insurance, you can access treatment privately. This process is usually quicker, but treatment through the NHS is free of charge.

Dr Yule Action on Addiction Drug Treatment service
Dr Simone Yule, clinical lead, Action on Addiction


‘I fully believe in the holistic approach to pain management. The drugs are a quick fix and should only be used in the immediate aftermath of an accident or illness. I think true rehab, where you are looking at the psychological aspects and physical rehabilitation to manage and help alleviate the pain, is not nearly accessible enough.’




Click here to read the next article in the series: What happens next?

Alternatively read the guide as a mobile magazine